Copyright © 2020 Mario Lambertucci
What is an SEO Swot Analysis
The SEO SWOT Analysis is a simple framework that will help you to drive more traffic to your website.
It was developed more than 50 years ago as a support to the definition of business strategies in contexts characterized by uncertainty and strong competitiveness.
Since the 1980s it has been used as a support to the choices of public intervention for analysing alternative development scenarios. Today the use of this technique has been extended to other fields. Online marketing is one of those.
SWOT is an acronym that stands for: Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats.
Let’s briefly explain each of these 4 elements:
- What your organisation excels at
- External factors that allow your company to grow. To find out more opportunities you could also check your competitors`weaknesses.
- Areas where the business needs to improve
- Risks in the external environment
Why is an SEO SWOT Analysis Important?
A good SEO SWOT Analysis will help you to gain a competitive advantage in your marketplace and become the first choice for your audience.
I personally use this framework a lot and helps me define the SEO strategy and maximise Search Engine coverage and efficiency.
It is the task of the strategy to plan how a company can reach their goals.
The strategy involves making two kind of choices:
- Where to compete?
- How to compete?
SEO SWOT Analysis example
- SEO friendly website
- Developers in your team able to support
- Responsive design in use
- Low SEO competition for specific keywords
- New markets or product to launch
- In-links to push content
- Big amount of internal data that can be shared
- The company has little market share
- Duplicate content
- Low budget
- Competitors have a strong connection with influencers
- Google SERP is pushing down organic results over ads and local results
- Competitors have a faster website
- Users prefer APP over desktop or mobile
Unpredictable environments requires companies to increase flexibility, rapidity of reaction and the ability to take advantage of the opportunities.
Once the SWOT analysis is complete, it will be necessary to put together all the data collected and observe them carefully to create a strategy or action plan, which focuses on each of the four areas.
You should focus on the following 4 principles:
Are there alternatives to SEO SWOT Analysis?
You can also use another frameworks called SOAR (stands for Strengths, Opportunities, Aspirations and Results). This strategic planning framework focuses on strengths.
While the SEO SWOT Analysis is more analytical the SOAR is more action oriented.
SEO Swot Analysis Template
Feel free to download the SEO SWOT ANALYSIS TEMPLATE.
How to download it?
Open the link then click on FILE and then MAKE A COPY.